We can complain or we can take action. SVIT Ukraine helps since 5 years to rescue one of the most important spots of Jewish heritage in Eastern Europe: The Jewish cemetery of Chernivtsi – former Czernowitz. You can be part of it!
SVIT Ukraine, the Ukrainian branch of Service Civil International (SCI) announced the upcoming work-camp to clear the Jewish cemetery in Czernowitz in 2013. Please read the information below to learn about the topic and how to register.
Start Date: 2013-08-08
End Date: 2013-08-28
Number of volunteers: 13
International age: 18 – 99
National age: 16 – 99
Costs: Participation is free of charge
Description: Chernivtsi is a city in Western Ukraine, famous for its history, architecture and multi-ethnic community. Before WW2 the city had large Jewish community, which played an important role in the development of the city. During WW2, Jewish population was greatly decimated by deportation and murder. Of those left alive at the end of the war, most emigrated. The Jewish cemetery, founded in 1866, is now the only obvious monument to once large Jewish community, it is one of the biggest historic Jewish cemeteries in Eastern Europe. The aim of the project is to contribute to preserving the cemetery.
Type of Work: Clearing the cemetery of vines and bushes, possibly some restoration work, simple restoration work.
Study Theme: The culture and history of the region and city, with an emphasis on the various ethnic minorities. Several thematic excursions will be organized – to Chernivtsi university (UNESCO world heritage site), former Hasidic residence and cemetery, guided tour “Jewish Chernivtsi”, visit to Jewish museum, meetings with local NGOs. This camp is part of the No-More-War campaign of SCI, which highlights pacifism and non-violence, see http://www.no-more-war.net
Accommodation: In a students dormitory. Volunteers will cook for themselves. Bring a sleeping bag.
Language: English, local languages – Russian, Ukrainian
Notes: This work-camp is part of the worldwide “NO-MORE-WAR!” campaign of diverse voluntary service organisations who have united together to highlight and practice pacifism and non-violence. We promote a future of peaceful cooperation where armed forces will no longer be necessary. Report from the workcamp in 2011: http://svit-ukraine.blogspot.com/2011/09/mirror-of-history.html
HOW TO REGISTER?
Participants register though their national branch of SCI or through a SCI partner organizations. This are the steps to register:
1. Go to http://www.workcamps.info
2. Look to the left and make sure your country of residence is right. If not, choose from the drop-down list.
3. Click “search” from the menue at the top of the site and go further to “country / topic” at the “advanced search”.
4. Select Ukraine from the country list and click the search button. You will get a list of work-camps in Ukraine in 2013. Click the information icon to get all details of the work-camp.
5. Click the check-box next to the Chernivtsi work-camp to learn about registration. Now pay attention to the right section of the site. The ways to apply may differ from country to country. Follow the further instructions. You might be asked create an account for the further procedure or to contact you national SCI branch.
Don’t worry! Thousands of volunteers managed every year to register in SCI work-camps!